While Prince Harry will be there to see his father crowned, his wife Meghan will stay at home with their children, celebrating the birthday of their son Archie, who turns four on the day of the Coronation.
The couple’s biographer Omid Scobie confirmed Archie’s birthday “played a factor in the decision” that Meghan would stay in California, and he expects it to be a “fairly quick trip to the UK” for Harry.
One royal source with knowledge of the Coronation plans said the King was “likely to be delighted” that Harry would attend.
The insider said: “The King has previously spoken of loving both his sons and that remains the case.
“Harry would have deeply regretted not attending the ceremony.
“Archie’s birthday has provided the perfect excuse for Meghan to stay behind and, with all things considered, it’s probably the right thing to do.”
Missing the official RSVP deadline of April 4 by nine days, Harry finally accepted the invitation yesterday.
Buckingham Palace announced the news and Archewell, Harry and Meghan’s charitable foundation, issued a near identical statement.
Meghan, who in the past accused an unnamed royal of racism, will remain at home in Montecito with Archie and his one-year-old sister Lilibet.
The Coronation will be Harry’s first appearance in a public setting with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate since he lambasted them in his memoir, Spare, which was published in January.
A royal source said it was “fully expected” that Harry would stay at Frogmore Cottage, which he and Meghan were ordered to vacate earlier this year, while he is here as the King had granted him a reprieve until after the Coronation.
And despite Harry’s legal action against the Home Office over the decision to strip him of taxpayer-funded protection when he is in the UK, the source said royal protection officers would be responsible for his safety as he was attending a State occasion with the Royal Family. Speculation was mounting last night over where Harry would be placed in the congregation at Westminster Abbey.
At the Queen’s funeral, Harry and Meghan sat behind Charles and Camilla, next to Princess Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.
Disgraced Prince Andrew got a front row seat along with his siblings, the King, Princess Anne and Prince Edward, and there is an understanding that Charles will follow “protocol” again.
Although Harry, Meghan and Andrew are no longer working royals, precedent is expected to be followed, with the “hierarchy” again in place, allowing Harry a more central seat as the King’s son.
As previously revealed by the Mirror, Harry will not appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony alongside the King and other “working royals” after the ceremony.
Royal sources last night said they doubted Meghan would return to Britain in the immediate future.
One Palace insider said: “The King has previously extended an invitation to Harry and Meghan to stay with him at Highgrove or at Balmoral, but all instances have been refused.”